Welcome

Welcome
Through the addition of this blog I aim to introduce and share the progress my new temporary public art project titled Flow.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Production

Each one of the thousands of lids has to be drilled with 4 holes into the sides ready for connecting with cable ties. 


When I drill these holes the accumulation of plastic shavings, known as swarf are thrown out so I wear a mask so I don't breath the minute particals into my lungs and I have made a small area to encased area to contain them.
I then sift the lids I have drilled to capture more of the swarf.
I aim to do something with this swarf but need to expirment more first.
As my back is now hurting from drilling thousands of lids, I will give that a rest, now I have begun sorting lids into colours those I have already drilled.  They remind me a bit of spices in hessian sacks.



This is my first helper Vicki Salisbury and her dog Remi who came to help me join the colours together in lines with cable ties.

The lids are then joined to the larger section where they flow in vertical lines.
Cylone Yasi called an abrubt halt to Flow for a couple of weeks as I had to abandon my open air deck (so the lids weren't strewn all over Townsvilleand try and stuff the project into my little studio space, which now resembles the aftermath of a cyclone!